Youth Fusion Formula
For more than 13 years, Youth Fusion has developed an effective and innovative model focused on the student’s perseverance and development, by offering them support throughout the school year, directly in the schools.The organization hires students from post-secondary institutions to work as project coordinators for 10 to 30 hours per week for a period of 32 to 37 weeks, in class or after-school programs, with the targeted students.
The educational projects developed focus on the following four domains:
Arts – Science & Engineering – Design – Leadership & Entrepreneurship
In addition to working alongside elementary or secondary students on projects related to their academic field, the coordinators develop a close bond with their students, which helps nurture continuity and perseverance.
Employees-mentors from businesses and community organizations operating in sectors tied to the projects are also brought in as mentors and assigned to schools to introduce students to career options, inspire them and shepherd them through the process of completing their projects. These organizations consequently promote not only “expertise volunteering” among their employees but also the thriving opportunities and the needed skills in their sector.
Youth Fusion therefore offers a continuum of interventions ranging from elementary schools to the industry and contributes to creating closer links between training and employment while working to lower dropout rates.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF
YOUTH FUSION PROJECTS
WHAT IS A YOUTH FUSION PROJECT ?
- Completion of a tangible project developed by students throughout the school year
- Weekly activities carried out mainly in class, spread out over ±34 weeks
- Integration of numerous fundamental and disciplinary competencies
- Development of students’ employability potential and professional interests
- Company visits or other relevant outings may be organized, in collaboration with the school
Project coordinator :
- Post-secondary student or recent graduate specialized in a project-related field
- In charge of preparing and moderating activities, assisted by the teacher
- A professional from a particular discipline whose expertise is linked to the program
- Will support the project during key moments by offering their expertise to the students at the assigned school
- Presentation of completed projects
- Participation in various challenges (demonstrations or competitions) related to the projects
- Program specific awards presented
- Regional gathering of all young participants, Youth Fusion’s diverse community
KEY COMPONENTS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL
COMPLETION OF YOUTH FUSION PROJECTS
- The ongoing involvement of participating students toward the completion of the project is mandatory
- The teacher or educational representative commits to the project for the entire school year and teams up with the Youth Fusion coordinator.
- The teacher supports the Program Coordinator in the preparation of in-class activities and is actively involved in moderating alongside the coordinator
- The school’s administrative team works to facilitate the project’s classroom integration by being flexible with regards to the teacher or educational representative’s schedule as well as by providing access to suitable rooms.
- Workshops must be conducted each week to reach the project’s goals.
- The school’s administrative team conducts regular follow-ups with the teacher, educational representative and coordinator and, when needed, the project manager.
- All costs related to student trips are at the expense of the school administration, unless otherwise stated.
Any questions ? Write us at email@example.com
How to submit a project request ?
STEPS FOR EVERYONE
- Under the GENERAL INFORMATION section, take the time to read:
- The Youth Fusion formula
- General characteristics of Youth Fusion projects
- Key components for the successful completion of Youth Fusion projects
- Frequent Asked Questions
- In the YOUTH FUSION PROJECTS section, at the top left, select the filters that apply to your class and/or school (province and region and academic level).
- Check out the list of projects and learn more about the specifics.
- Project details
- Program description
- Tangible results
- Fundamental competencies
- Disciplinary skills
- Additional conditions
- By clicking on the plus (+), you add a project to your selection. More than one project can be added to your selection.
Extra step for teachers and other school staff members
- Once you have made your selection, click on the My selection tab. To share the selected projects to your principal, click on the Submit my selection button.
Extra steps for School Administrators
- Review the selection submitted by your school staff.
- Once you have made your selection, click on the My Selection tab and click on the Submit my selection button to complete the application form.
- You can apply for more than one project, submitted as an Application form either separately or in a single application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Youth Fusion’s mission ?
Youth Fusion is an award-winning charity that contributes to the perseverance, employability and civic engagement of youth by implementing innovative experiential learning projects that create ongoing links between school systems and the community.
Every week, we work with 13,000 youth in over 200 schools in rural, urban, and Indigenous communities.
What is the nature and duration of a Youth Fusion project ?
The essence of the work is about the realization of a concrete project developed by youth throughout the school year during weekly activities, carried out mainly in class, distributed on ± 34 weeks.
It is an integrative project, structured by a pedagogical framework, integrated with fundamental competencies and interdisciplinary skills.
The project develops the employability potential and the professional interests of the youth. It also offers the possibility of business visits or other relevant external outings organized in collaboration with the school.
What is the role of the project coordinator ?
The project coordinator hired by Youth Fusion is a post-secondary or a recent graduate specializing in a field related to the project.
As an expert in their program, they are responsible for the preparation and implementation of activities related to the Youth Fusion pedagogical framework.
They facilitate the development of technical skills and guides the youth through the various stages of the project implementation.
They also plan the project throughout the year, including logistical components such as assessing accommodation and equipment access requirements as well as outing planning and mentor attendance. To do this, the project coordinator establishes an effective communication channel with the school team (teacher or other staff member) and the program manager.
What is the role of the teacher who is involved in a Youth Fusion project ?
As an expert in pedagogy, the role of the teacher is to team up with the project coordinator to provide supportive classroom and behavioural management and support during activity sessions.
When the activities are being planned, the teacher proposes modifications to improve the workshops in order to achieve their educational objectives, such as the integration of school subjects and work to be evaluated.
They also assist the coordinator in meeting the logistical and administrative needs of the project, such as organizing outings and events and obtaining parental consent permission.
What is the role of the mentor ?
In terms of time commitment, Youth Fusion Jeunesse favours between 4 and 6 visits throughout in the school year, depending on the availability of the mentor, the last of which is participation a presence at the final event.
These visits represent between 10 and 15 hours throughout the school year which will be devoted to connecting with the youth and their work in an authentic way accompanying the young participants. The continuity of the mentor’s presence within the project enables students to create a positive and meaningful link, thus enabling them to project themselves into future careers.
What are the 14 fundamental competencies of Youth Fusion ?
Fundamental competencies represent different skills that are developed and used across the board in all spheres of life. They enable everyone to develop fully as individuals on a personal, professional and social level in order to fully learn from their lived experiences as well as to achieve their goals throughout their life.
In order to deepen the impact of the projects with the youth with whom the coordinators intervene daily, in all its programs, Youth Fusion tries to stimulate the constant and progressive development of 14 fundamental competencies.
The 14 fundamental competencies are the following:
- Sense of ethics
- Sense of responsibility
- Sense of citizenship
- Organizational skills
- Researching and processing information
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Communicating effectively
What is the Future Education Festival, an end-of-year event organized by Youth Fusion ?
The end-of-year event, which usually takes place in May, brings together all the participants that form the large Youth Fusion community. It provides an opportunity for all students to present finished projects, participate in various project-related (demonstrative or competitive) challenges, and win numerous awards. To view the promotional video made during our first festival, please click on the following link: Future Education Festival.
What are the important dates ?
|Regions||Deadline to submit a project request||Project confirmation with schools||Start of the projects in the classrooms|
|Quebec||June 13th||September - October||October - November|
|Ontario||June 13th||September - October||October - November|
|New-Brunswick||June 24th||September - October||October - November|
|France||July 11th||September - October||October - November|
What is the cancellation policy following a project request ?
The deadline to cancel a project without penalty is September 10th 2022
Thereafter, in the event of cancellation of the project by the school, without reasonable reason, a penalty of 300$ (200 €) will be incurred to cover the administrative costs related to the preparation of projects, including, among other things, the recruitment, signing of a contractual agreement and training of project coordinators.
What is the start date for projects in schools ?
The projects begins in the weeks following coordinators training, during the month of October.
Is the maximum number of hours per week divided among the different participating classes ?
Yes. The maximum number of hours per week in the school will be divided according to the number of classes participating in the project.
The number of hours a project coordinator will attend for an individual class is specified in detail for each program in the ACTIVITY PERIODS PER WEEK section under the PROJECT DETAILS tab.
Will the project cost be billed to the school or the school board ?
The project cost is usually billed to the school, except in the case of a different agreement with the school board.
After the start of the projects, Youth Fusion will send an invoice to the school board’s finance department. This process allows your network to be aware of all the projects that are taking place for the school year. If applicable, the cost of the projects will then be billed to the school.
Then, if the agreement is that the institutions pay their own costs, the finance department will be able to handle its own internal billing operations.
Are there any additional costs that may be charged by Youth Fusion for the project ?
Additional costs, if any, are detailed for each program in the ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS section unthe the PROJECT DETAILS tab and are generally used to cover the purchase of project-related material.